It may not come as much of a surprise that the health service sector in the McAllen metro area is one of the leading industries of the region. But when we begin to look at the sheer numbers and affect the medical field has had on the local economy and job growth, it’s quite difficult not to be left astounded.
Since 2000, the health service sector (in addition to the education sector) has grown by more than 150%. As the two fastest growing industries in the last 17 years, education and health services account for 47% of all net jobs added to the McAllen House Market Area (HMA).
Amazingly, during the 12 months prior to March 2017, these two sectors once again had the highest job growth at a fantastic 4.9%. That is a positive increase of 3,200 jobs during that 12 month time frame.
This expanded the total number of education and health care service jobs to almost 70,000.
Leaders of the Pack
This explosion in the health services industry has been led by the growth of private clinics and regional medical powerhouses including McAllen Medical Center, Rio Grande Regional Hospital, Mission Regional Medical Center, Edinburg Regional Medical Center, and Doctors Hospital Renaissance.
These 5 hospitals and medical centers rank in the top 10 largest employers of the McAllen metro area. Together they employee over 9,700 medical professionals and health service workers.
|Name of Employer||Nonfarm Payroll Sector||Number of Employees|
|Edinburg Regional Medical Center||Education & health services||3,000|
|McAllen Medical Center||Education & health services||2,800|
|Doctors Hospital at Renaissance||Education & health services||2,000|
|Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.||Wholesale & retail trade||1,850|
|South Texas College||Government||1,800|
|US Customs and Border Protection||Government||1,600|
|Rio Grande Regional Hospital||Education & health services||975|
|Mission Regional Medical Center||Education & health services||956|
Sources: Edinburg Economic Development Corporation; McAllen Economic Development Corporation
And it doesn’t look like job growth will be slowing down anytime soon.
The Future is Now for McAllen’s Health Care Sector
Doctors Hospital at Renaissance recently announced that they are planning to invest $79 million in expansion projects while creating 565 new jobs over the next five years.
There’s also the economic boost associated with UTRGV’s School of Medicine. Economic impact studies estimate that the development of the medical and research facilities tied into the school will bring more than $260 million to the region’s economy.
That doesn’t include the intangible quality of life improvements and increased medical services that will undoubtedly arise as an outgrowth of the emerging school.
It’s worth mentioning that an increase in McAllen’s HMA residents with insurance helped to further propel the health service sector. The percentage of population with health insurance increased from 64% in 2010 to nearly 70% by 2015.
Indeed, McAllen is at the forefront of a new era in the region and the health service and education sectors are helping drive the economy and quality of life forward.
We Are Proud of All of Our Healthcare Community Members
The McAllen Chamber of Commerce is honored to partner with a number of healthcare service providers and medical centers in the region. It is because of these practices – both large and small alike – that the community of McAllen and the surrounding metro area has a sense of hope and receives the care it most certainly needs.
Get to know McAllen’s medical and wellness practices. We are proud to spotlight a few of our health services Chamber Members including:
- Urgent Care4U: This full service clinic is open 7 days a week and features an in-house laboratory, digital x-ray capabilities, a state-of-the-art facility, experienced emergency room physicians and quick treatment that happens often in less than an hour. Urgent Care Center is ideal for non-life threatening injuries and illnesses.
- Dr. Pablo Tagle III Chiropractic Wellness Center: This modern clinic in McAllen provides chiropractic care and expertise, advanced physical therapy services, and additional holistic counseling to achieve comprehensive wellness.
- Hope Family Health Center: This amazing non-profit strives to provide uninsured individual meaningful and much needed medical, counseling, and case management services throughout the counties of Hidalgo, Starr, Cameron, and Willacy.
- Innovative Therapy, P.C.: This unique physical therapy clinic provides individualized treatment programs to support individuals who have suffered from debilitating injuries or illnesses including: back injuries, knee injuries, neck injuries, wound care, lymphedema and much more. This amazing team also offers workshops and one-of-a-kind Zen massages.
- Cornerstone Periodontics & Implant Dentistry: This speciality dental office provides a number of invaluable services to patients of the Rio Grande Valley including dental implants, extractions, bone grafting, sedation, and 3D imaging.
- 20/20 Vision Care: Offering a bevy of services including primary eye care, eye exams, vision testing for glaucoma, cataracts, and macular degeneration, as well as offering glasses, contact lenses and pre- and post-operative care, 20/20 Vision Care is committed to providing only the best in vision care for the McAllen metro area.
Spread the Word: The Future of Healthcare is in McAllen
There’s no way around it. McAllen’s health care service industry is happening. Help us to tell this amazing story by sharing this blog on social media.
And as always:
- Like, comment, and share “See You in McAllen” posts and tweets.
- Use #SeeYouInMcAllen on your own business posts and tweets.
- Pick up “Amigos” signage and point of sale brochures at the Chamber.
- Give your employees “Amigos” pins to wear at point of sale.
- Continue to deliver the warm welcomes and outstanding customer experiences our visitors have always counted on when they come to McAllen!
Visit SeeYouInMcAllen to learn more about the marketing collaboration between the McAllen Chamber of Commerce, the City of McAllen, and McAllen Economic Development Corporation.