Co-owner, Kumori & Mori
1) What is your favorite book? The DaVinci Code. It involves a lot of things I’m familiar with through my study of history and religion. I found it very interesting.
2) What is your favorite movie? My favorite movies are Braveheart and The Notebook. I love the action in Braveheart and the storyline. The Notebook is a wonderful story of a couple in love, what they went through, and how they end up together. That emotion is incredible when you find your loved one and stay together your whole life with all the things you go through. At the end of their life, they even died in the same bed together. What else could you ask for in a relationship?
3) What was your favorite vacation spot? That would be Italy because the culture is so unique. You can walk through the whole city enjoying the people and the language. Though I do not know Italian, I love the language. My sister lived there so I had the chance to get to know a lot of non-tourist areas. My wife and I love to go there.
4) What is your life’s motto? My motto is to help as much as you can help no matter what. I only hope my kids learn that as they grow. I have had people in my life help me, not asking for anything in return, and I like to pass it on.
5) Where were you born? Monterrey, Mexico
6) What was a life-changing event in your life? Being a Mexican and opening a sushi restaurant in the United States. When I applied for visas for some of my workers to come to the U.S., the officer asked me, “What is a Mexican doing in the U.S. with a Japanese restaurant?” I told him, “That’s called globalization!”
7) What makes you laugh? Almost everything. In my house, everything is a laugh. When I am in meetings, I always want to have a funny story. As serious as life can get, I’m always looking for the funny side of everything because I think life can be funny.
8) What was your favorite TV show growing up? That would be Magnum PI.
9) What is the first thing you do each morning? When I wake up, I start planning the day ahead. A part of that is always planning what I’m going to have for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I love food.
10) What are any apps or other technology you use to get things done? I use WhatsApp because it helps me move many people around, giving them all the same message at the same time. Of course, using the Internet, but WhatsApp is a great tool.
11) What is the last thing you do before going to bed? I talk to my wife and usually we laugh.
12) What is the question you most want answered? Why do kids get sick and die?
13) What is the happiest thing for you to think about? That would be my family, my wife and three kids.