Senior Vice-President, Senior Credit Officer for HIll Country
Texas Regional Bank
1) What is your favorite book? I’m not known to be much of a book reader. I’ve been known to say my favorite books are Cliff Notes back in high school. But there is one book that I have read – Who Moved My Cheese? I read that in Leadership McAllen, Class 21. It has application in all parts of your life, personally, business wise, career wise, in that you really have to think about the fact that change is going to happen. Change can be good, change can be bad but it needs to be accepted and part of the life that you lead no matter what you’re doing. Your cheese will be moved. That’s stuck with me.
2) What is your favorite movie? I will be honest and tell my fellow Chamber members that my favorite movie is “Vacation” with Chevy Chase. I tend to be known as a jokester, playing practical jokes and in general, making people laugh. It goes back to the first question. When you deal with change, sometimes humor gets the change done a little easier. I tend to use that at times but that movie is an indication of what kind of humor I have.
3) What was your favorite vacation spot? It’s probably vacation – wouldn’t mind living there also – San Antonio. From a vacation standpoint, it’s easily accessible. It’s a great small large city. I’m able to visit frequently. It’s not like you have to save up and spend six hours in an airport. So it makes a good vacation spot. If we were to actually travel, my next choice would be Seattle.
4) What is your life’s motto? Know your priorities and abide by them to the best of your abilities. Those priorities may change as you go through different stages of your life, but always have them in front of you and know what they are.
5) Where were you born? Harlingen, Texas
6) What was a life changing event in your life? Marriage is always life changing, the bringing of another person in your life 120 percent. And certainly, the birth of my two boys was life changing. We were actually without children for many years, so our lives were status quo until we had a surprise, then a second surprise.
7) What makes you laugh? One thing is just watching my boys’ mannerisms as they grow older and how they copy each other, me and others. It’s fun to hear how they reason things out and think about things. Other things that make me laugh are very comical movies, good comedians.
8) What is the question you most want answered? Will I be a good father?
9) What is the happiest thing for you to think about? My immediate family: my wife and the boys. In the past, my father, mother, and sister.
10) What is the first thing you do each morning? I get my boys ready for school. I get their lunches ready, I get them breakfast and get them started, and then my wife gets the rest of it. I do help with the baths at night.
11) What are any apps or other technology you use to get things done? My cell phone. To get things done I frequent my email mail box, Channel 5 weather app, my calendar, and my laptop.
12) What is the last thing you do before going to bed? I’m on my laptop or phone catching up on work, and then I kiss my wife goodnight.
13) What time do you go to sleep? 10:30 p.m.